Tuesday, August 16, 2011

tuesday

Just a couple of notes. Kalia has been doing homework without any argument. In fact today, she told me, "Oh, I'm so excited to do this homework, Mrs. Coon told us about it."

We have been reading Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingles Wilder, one chapter every night with Kalia. We are all (me, Erik & Kalia) really enjoying it. At first there were moments when I could see her attention fading, but now she is really into it and asking questions about what is going to happen and why they call it "sugar snow", etc. I keep pointing out things to Kalia like, the fact that Laura didn't even have a doll like her sister Mary and she had to use a corncob for a doll! It's hard work to live in the Big Woods! The daily chore list and getting ready for the winter is serious stuff. I've been trying to see if I would be cut out for living in the "big woods" and I'm not sure, I think Erik's ready to trade it all in to live off the land:)

We had a fun morning this morning, Maya & I met Adrienne and Joel for a hang out at the beach/surf. The kids are getting so big and we were remembering when we 1st started bringing them down to do trade offs. Maya had so much fun throwing rocks into the ocean with Joel- it's not something she usually does with Kalia. Joel thought it was so funny how Maya didn't throw her rocks very far- that kid has a serious arm (joel).

Kalia drew a picture at school the other day of a rainbow and then put a sun and a cloud with rain, "because you need sun and rain to make a rainbow". Yes, you do.

No comments: