Sunday, August 14, 2011

saturday

Saturday- we had a lazy morning
then headed to the beach for a surf and shell finding
great shells to be found-
kalia made this birthday cake for me.
The Butlers came down and it was super fun!


The girls sitting on my lap

Kalia making Maya laugh

Kalia making her shell offering,
we let her keep 1 shell,
but all others must be offered back to the ocean

Her offering

Well, we had a great week last week. It is a new era for the Hendrickson Household with real school and a new daycare for Maya. Kalia is absolutely loving kindergarten, her confidence and independence are definitely growing. It has been more than we could have asked for. On Friday, she had to wear her dreaded PE outfit and you know what- she liked it. She liked PE- they played basketball and she dribbled the ball! Then she wore her PE outfit all day without changing when she got home. Not only do I feel really good about Kalia being comfortable at school, I also feel like she is being challenged academically and it's fun for her. Her homework reinforces what she is learning in class and there's enough without being too much. I think we were both a little happy there was no homework on Friday (although, that was the day Erik picked up and was in charge of getting homework done). Maya is doing well with Auntie Carol also- she still is a little hesitant at the drop off, but is perfectly happy when we pick up (no sobs, as if she has been coping all day), more like "hi mama, I'm eating goldfish".

Oh- here's a little scary story. I was asking Kalia what she was talks about with her new friends at school and since she can now talk about princesses and such things (not allowed at The Pre-School at Kapalua), I asked her if she talked about princesses and she told me, "No, we talk about way cooler things than that." That's also the answer she gave when I asked about what she plays on the playground verses Pre-School. What?!? I am so not ready for this...

On a totally different note, I was asked to sit on a recommendation board to help select a new Principal for the school I do the Educator Program for at Duke's. I was sworn to secrecy, so I won't give the details, but it was really an amazing experience. I was the only civilian in a group of principals, superintendent, pta president, lead admin staff, teachers in this group and they were all so inspiring. They were all so passionate about their jobs- continually striving for change and improvement, a love for what they do and working with some major obstacles. It really made me want to send my kids to public school. I met some incredible people and I felt really fortunate to have that experience. I came home and told Erik I wanted to be an educator...but I do get a little impulsive at times. Educators rule. I know this, we all know this, but to see it all working 1st hand, it was pretty amazing.

On the flip side, it also confirmed for me that Kalia is at the right school for us right now. The kindergarten classes at this school currently have 27 kids per class with 1 teacher and I believe that the curriculum would not be as challenging for Kalia.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: