Thursday, August 4, 2011

school days

Lunch bag and coin purse (for snack money) I made for
Kalia to take to Kindergarten

Lunch bag with waterproof lining

A lot has happened since we returned from vacation. All summer we had our heads wrapped around the fact that Kalia would go to public school. We had our orientation set and Kalia had her teacher's name memorized. Then last Thursday, we got a call from Sacred Hearts offering us additional financial aid (we had applied earlier in the year). I went to the orientation that night and now Kalia is enrolled. She however has had a fever all week and is missing her first two days of school. There are 12 kids in her class and we are pretty excited!

Maya has started child care with Auntie Carol and so far, pretty good. She has been my brave, brave girl. The first day she said "bye" to us and gave us hugs and kisses, but came to the door and had a very sad look on her face. Auntie Carol told me later that she sulked a bit in the corner, then on wednesday, she said that Maya was playing with the other kids. So we are making progress. It's been an adjustment period for all of us. Since Kalia has been home and sick- we have been both eagerly waiting to pick Maya up. Monday, Kalia kept asking if it was time to pick Maya up yet. We missed our baby girl. But once Kalia is on her school schedule and Maya and I'm back to my regular work schedule, I think we will be all good. I will have tuesday and thursday as my Maya time and since Kalia is out of school at 2pm (1pm on wed), and they don't usually wake up until 3/3:30 from nap at maya's daycare, I will have some Kalia time after school on mon, wed, fri. My girls are growing up!

Being home sick is hard, especially when one rather rascally child is not sick. I think also, Erik and I have been anxiously awaiting Kalia's 1st days at big girl school and we have had to stay at home. But she will have a 1st day of school, whether it's this week or next week, there will be a 1st day of big day school. Today was the first day all week she was feeling a little better and she told me that she was a "little nervous" about Kindergarten. So am I... But of course I didn't tell her that!

No comments: